Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Henri Nouwen, in Sabbatical Journey ponders Jesus' statement, "Whoever is not with me is against me, and whoever does not gather with me scatters." Nouwen says, "These words frighten me. I want to be with Jesus, but often it feels like I want rto be with many others too! There is within me a strong tendency to play it safe. I want to stay friends with everyone. I do not like conflict or controversy. I hate divsions and confrontations among people. Is this a weakness, a lack of courage ot speak out forcefully, a fear of rejection, a preoccupation with being liked? Or is it a strength that allows me to bring people together and be reconciled, to create community, and to build bridges? Jesus also says, 'Do you think that I have come to bring peace to the earth? No, I tell you, but rather divsion.' What do I do with all these harsh words? Isn't there enough religous conflict? Isn't Jesus inciting me here to a confrontational life and stirring me up to create separation between people?...I have made an inner decision to keep looking at Jesus as the one who calls us to the heart of God, a heart that knows only love. It is from that perspective that I reflect on everything Jesus says, including his harsh statements...Every time I have an opportunity to creae understanding between people and foster moments of healing, forgiving, and uniting, I will try to do it, even though I might be criticized as too soft, too bending, too appeasing."

What a grand proposal.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I confess that I had never read Nouwen prior to reading Darryl Tippens' latest: Pilgrim Heart: The way of Jesus in Everyday Life. I have grown as a result. From another one who hates confrontation, I too struggle with this exhortation of Christ to be a reconciler and peacemaker. Blessings.

8:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home