Saturday, February 04, 2006

Forever Odd (Read - er/ing)
Yea, it is a good title, the Odd part. You might think I'm referring to myself. Although it does apply to twisted chickens like me, it is the title of the latest Dean Koontz novel. Just letting you fiction readers know, it's good. Same basic formula. Good triumphs over evil. This particular foray into the "dark side" isn't typical Koontz though. His treatment of the destructive and malevolent side of humanity isn't as fully fleshed out as in previous books, but otherwise he does a good job to pull you into the story through the protagonist, Odd Thomas. Odd is a great character and I suspect we'll see him, at least once more. It gets a thumbs up from me...but, I like this odd type story.

Picked up Bird by Bird, an Anne Lamott non-fiction title. If you haven't read her Traveling Mercies make a point to find it. (It's out in paperback and should be at most 1/2 Price or Used Book dealers.) WARNING: Lamott tells her tale in raw, revealing language. She is a recovering drug addict who found Jesus in a small church down by the San Francisco docks. (Yes, they still have churches in San Francisco.) Bird by Bird is her contribution to the field of "here's how to write." Half-way done...it's a good read, especially at $3.95.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

LOVE Anne Lamott -- and hope to get my hands on Bird by Bird. How did you find it for $3.95? Some fabulous book super store that I would have to drive 180 miles to get to?

1:57 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Indeed! I got it at 1/2 Price Books and it is in paperback. I'm having to be careful in 1/2 Price. She could be a pricey Mistress.

4:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home